Wednesday, August 19, 2009

License Accomplished!

Yes, you read it right! I finally received my license, but it wasn't an easy process. I woke up at 3:45 AM on Sunday morning to take my test starting at 5:30AM. After a mad dash of people swarmed to collect their paperwork and pay for the test, I made my way to the first part of the test, the road sign exam. I passed that quite easily since they pointed to a stop sign, a no parking sign and a danger sign. Next I waited to get into a car to do the "L" test which involves stopping on an incline and balancing the clutch and gas. If you roll backwards, you fail, if you stall, you fail. I didn't do either of those things, but I still failed... yep, you heard me, I failed. I asked them why? They didn't give me an answer.... great! So after I parked the car I made my way out of the testing facility to get a ride home. On my way out, I met a man who was behind me in the next car waiting to take the test. He told me I didn't do anything wrong and that this particular testing location was known for failing Americans so they can get more money out of them. That was the icing on the cake. Not only did I feel completely crushed about failing the test, I now had become a victim of a scam.

I made my way out of the school/driving test location and waited for my colleague Chris to pick me up. While I waited outside I was approached by a rather shady Philippine man who, at first, was very friendly and harmless but then became quite creepy when he started to ask me for my phone number and kept offering a ride home. Perhaps the best part was that he wanted to "show me some pretty Philippine women." That just solidified the awesome experience at the driving test!

But, now the good news! I do have my license now because someone in HR at the Qatar Foundation, let's just say, helped me out. Now I'm just waiting to get my own car!


No comments:

Post a Comment